Sunday, August 28, 2011

I just need a little something to take the pain away.





19 miles in and I start my first walk of the day. Wow, this is steep, the sidis barely finding enough grip. There was not much much hope of cleaning this on the fix with 36x15 and with nearly 100 miles still to go it is probably best not to go too into the red.

Yeah. Once a year a stupid challenge comes a calling. I guess i have to take the new Single Speed Outlaw Factory Team jersey for a spin. Two years ago it was a 12 hour solo mtb race, fixed. Last year it was the un-named epic, fixed. Both times I was the only fixie that I saw or heard of. Yesterdays crazy challenge was no exception. D2R2, Deerfield dirt road randonee, 113 miles and 15,000 feet or so of climbing.

The talk on the bike forums was that it would be stupid or impossible to fixie it. With the gear chat centering around, would a 1:1 gearing be small enough? As I pondered the first of many walks I wondered if it was possible, for me, at least. But I kept moving. Walking, crawling, slithering, along the edge of the straight razor. Food stops were just a splash and go. I think my longest rest was to make sure a rider who had crashed was ok. The dirt road descents were so much fun, but loose gravel and stutter bumps are not a good combination. Looked like a broken collar bone for him.

It was actually a lot of fun fixed, yo-yo'ing with some other riders for almost the whole day. The reaction from others was outstanding. I got lots of cheers, you are my hero.... All this by mile 18. Damn. I better finish this and I did. Took me nearly 12 hours. I am feeling a little tender today.

Would I do it fix again? Ask me in 11 months time.





4 Comments:

At 8/28/2011 3:25 PM, Blogger rickyd said...

Ha! Nice job, Markie! A long distance Outlaw, indeed :)

 
At 8/28/2011 3:36 PM, Blogger L Train said...

So you sound like you enjoyed western MA. Those rides are always fun. Good job!

 
At 9/28/2011 6:21 PM, Blogger Hjalti said...

Strong work.

 
At 9/30/2011 8:29 AM, Blogger Blue-eyed Devil said...

'Bout time you nutted up! ;) Well done, my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home